|Scientific name||Gavia immer||Common name||Common Loon|
|Population name||Europe (win)|
|Breeding range||N America, Greenland, Iceland, Bear Island||Non-breeding range||Coastal NW Europe|
|Red List Category||Least Concern|
|Ramsar regions||Europe North America|
|Publication||Start year||End year||Minimum||Maximum||Estimate quality||Notes||References||Actions|
|WPE 5||1985||2000||5,000||5,000||Expert opinion||[R389]|
|CSR 4||1985||2000||5,000||5,000||Expert opinion||[R389]|
|CSR 5||1985||2000||5,000||5,000||Expert opinion||[R389]|
|CSR 6||1997||2012||5,000||5,000||Expert opinion||[S8519]||[R1362] [R1361]|
|CSR 7||1994||2012||5,100||6,300||Expert opinion||[S8823]||[R1549]|
|Publication||Start year||End year||Trend||Trend quality||Notes||References||Actions|
|WPE 5||1990||2000||STA||No idea||[R66]|
|CSR 4||1990||2000||STA||No idea||[R66]|
|CSR 5||1990||2000||STA||No idea||[R66]|
|CSR 6||2000||2012||DEC||Reasonable||[T6516]||[R1381] [R1362] [R1361]|
|CSR 7||2000||2012||DEC?||Reasonable||[T6778]||[R1549] [R1548]|
Population 1% level
- R389 - Lack, P. 1986. The Atlas of Wintering Birds in Britain and Ireland. T. and A.D. Poyser, Calton. 447 pp.
- R66 - BirdLife International Website 2002
- R1362 - European Topic Centre on Biological Diversity (in prep) Population and trend data provided by the EU Member States in the frame of their reporting under Article 12 of the EU Birds Directive. Online fact sheets. European Topic Centre on Biological Diversity, Paris. URL: http://bd.eionet.europa.eu/activities/Reporting/Article_12/Reports_2013/Member_State_Deliveries. Accessed on 31 July 2014.
- R1361 - BirdLife International, BTO, EBCC, CSO, IUCN, RSPB, SOVON, Wetlands International (in prep) Population and trend data provided to the European Red List of Birds Project funded by the European Commission. Digital dataset. BirdLife International, Cambridge, UK. Accessed on 31 July 2014.
- R1381 - Nagy, S., Flink, S., Langendoen, T. (2014) Waterbird trends 1988-2012: Results of trend analyses of data from the International Waterbird Census in the African-Eurasian Flyway. Wetlands International, Ede.
- R1549 - BirdLife International 2015. European Red List of Birds. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. http://datazone.birdlife.org/info/euroredlist
- R1548 - Wetlands International (2017) Flyway trend analyses based on data from the African-Eurasian Waterbird Census from the period of 1967-2015. Ede, The Netherlands: Wetlands International. URL: http://iwc.wetlands.org/index.php/aewatrends
- S8519 - The FYM is 802 individuals for the period of 2008-2012. However, the total of national estimates of wintering populations in CH, ES, FR, IE, IS, SE and the UK is 4,047-4,265 individuals (European Topic Centre on Biological Diversity, in prep., BirdLife International et al., in prep.).
- T6516 - Although the trend based on the IWC shows large increase both in the short- and long-term, IWC counts are not representative enough to estimate the trends reliably. Wintering numbers declined in IE, UK and ES (i.e. the bulk of the European wintering population) and were stable in CH, SE and IS, fluctuated in FR. Overall trend for 2000-2012: 09514-0.9541 and for 1980-2012: 1.0153-1.0175 (European Topic Centre on Biological Diversity, in prep., BirdLife International et al., in prep.).
- S8823 - Sum of national wintering population estimates.
- T6778 - According to (BirdLife International 2015), wintering numbers declined in IE, UK and ES (i.e. the bulk of the European wintering population) and were stable in CH, SE and IS, fluctuated in FR in the short-term, but strong increase is reported from both SE and UK in the long-term. The long-term trend is unknown in other countries. The trend based on the IWC shows large increase both in the short- and long-term (Wetlands International 2017). The IWC trend is driven largely by data from Germany (contributing more than 50% to the sample totals), which country is even not reported wintering numbers to the European Red List.
Copyright Wetlands International 2012 Citation: Wetlands International (). "Waterbird Population Estimates" . Retrieved from wpe.wetlands.org on